Get your Vitamin C kick with these super soft, moist and delightful orange & almond muffins topped with caramelized orange syrup. Made with freshly squeezed orange juice, zest and jaggery, this was such a joy to bake. My home smells like a bakery and I smell like oranges 🙂
This recipe was a rebound recipe from an earlier failed experiment. I was fixated on a post on Insta of a scrumptious looking orange & lemon semolina cake. The recipe seemed easy enough and eager for a win, I had all the ingredients ordered the very same day. As luck and skill would have it, the resulting cake turned out be quite the disaster. No amount of tricks and tweaks could salvage it.
Ever since, I have been obsessed with getting an orange based dessert right. I decided to set aside my rivalry with semolina and work with what I was familiar with ie; a mix of whole wheat flour and almond flour. These fluffy muffins emerged, victorious. You will love how straightforward this recipe is, takes just 15 minutes of prep time and tastes incredible. They are light, fresh tender and make a lovely and healthy accompaniment to your evening tea.
Feel free to add your own twist to this recipe. Some of the flavours that you could look at adding are cinnamon, lemon, chocolate chips or any nuts of your choice.
Here’s a short video with the play by play of the recipe. Scroll down for the detailed version.
Orange & Almond Muffins
- This recipe gives you 12 muffins. Size represented in the picture above.
- 3 medium sized oranges (zest + juice)
- 2 eggs (at room temperature)
- 1/4 cup (60mL) vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup (60g) butter
- 1/2 cup (100g) jaggery
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (Aata)
- 3/4 cup almond flour (raw almonds with skin on, pulsed in the grinder)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp orange extract
- 2 tbsp brown sugar (for syrup topping)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon (for syrup topping)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and grease your muffin tray. I used silicone muffin holders that don’t need greasing.
- To begin, combine all the dry ingredients ie; wheat flour,almond flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Mix and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the melted butter, oil and jaggery. Whisk until well combined.
- Add the eggs, at room temperature one at a time. Whisk using a hand mixer or a regular whisk until light and fluffy.
- Add the dry ingredients to the mixture and mix. Make sure you add the dry mix one third at a time.
- Add orange zest, orange juice (1 cup) and orange essence. Mix until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the muffin tray. If desired, sprinkle on some cinnamon or chocolate chips or almonds.
- Bake for 40 minutes until the top has risen and the toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then transfer on to a rack to cool completely.
- Top this with some tangy and sweet caramelized orange syrup. This is optional but highly recommended. ** Caramelized Orange Syrup**
- Combine 2 tsp water, 2 tbsp brown sugar and orange peels (from 1 orange) in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook until the sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally. Add juice from 1 orange and a dash of cinnamon (optional).
- Remove from heat, remove the peels and let the syrup cool.
- Pour the syrup generously over the muffins, wipe off any drool and pop one in your mouth 🙂