You think kebabs, you instantly think meat. This version is bound to break those kebab stereotypes 🙂
These soft, succulent minced soya chunks and lentils are first cooked in an aromatic, roasted spice blend and finally pan-fried and served along with a refreshing mint- tamarind chutney (dip). Makes for a healthy and wholesome appetizer or an entree.
Soya & Lentil Kebabs
- Prep time does not include soak time for the lentils.
- This recipe give you roughly 16 kebabs. Size represented above.
- **For Dry Roasting**
- 2 Dry red chillies
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 cardamon pods
- 2 cloves
- 1 small piece of cinnamon
- 4 peppercorns ** Other Ingredients**
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1 Bay leaf (to be added to the gram dal while being pressure-cooked)
- 1/2 cup gram dal (chana dal)
- 1 cup soya granules
- 2 medium sized onions
- 5-6 cloves of garlic
- 1 inch ginger (alternatively use 1 tsp of ginger-garlic paste)
- 2 green chillis, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 medium sized potato
- 1 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil
- A small bunch of coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp corn flour or gram flour
- 2 tsp Salt or more as per taste
- Soak the gram dal for about 2 hours. Pressure cook the dal with a little water and add the bay leaf along with it. Take care not to overcook the dal. Discard the bay leaf and set aside the dal.
- Boil the soya chunks for about 10 minutes. Drain and gently squeeze out any excess water. Set aside.
- Boil one potato until cooked. Set aside.
- In a pan, add all the ingredients under ‘dry roasting’. Set the flame to low and dry roast the spices until they are fragrant and the colour changes. Be sure to keep stirring to ensure that the mixture does not burn.
- Transfer this mixture to a grinder/mixi and grind this into a fine powder. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Once heated, add cashews and saute for a minute until they are slightly crisp and golden on the edges. Add onions and saute until translucent. You don’t have to brown them.
- Add garlic, ginger, and green chillies. Add turmeric powder and salt. Saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the gram dal, soya chunks and saute until all the water dries out.
- Transfer this to a big mixi/grinder. Add coriander leaves and give it a quick pulse for a coarse grind. Do not grind to a fine paste.
- Transfer this to a big bowl. Add the cooked mashed potato, roasted spice mix and corn flour. Mix well.
- Use your hands to scoop out a small portion of the mixture and roll into the shape you prefer. Continue to do this for the rest of the mix.
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a pan and shallow fry 4 patties in one go.
- Your kebabs are ready to be served along with a refreshing mint-tamarind chutney !