These crispy, crunchy, chewy & chocolate drizzled granola bars literally fill me with joy. This is my go-to recipe anytime I need a quick pick-me-up. It also helps that these are nutrient packed, gluten free and refined sugar free.
Being the dark-chocolate fanatic I am, I can’t help but drizzle some of that goodness on top. If you’re looking for a slightly less decadent option, then leave the chocolate out. Trust me, it still tastes pretty incredible 🙂
Ever stop to admire those yoga bars and well packaged granola jars that line gourmet supermarket shelves ? Well this time, I slowed down to get a closer look. If you scan through the ingredients list, you come to realize just how accessible they are. Once you get hold of the ingredients, making it is even simpler.
I have tried and tested multiple granola recipes but this particular one gave me the right amount of crisp, crunch and tightly packed consistency that I needed, to cut into bars for serving. You can’t really go wrong with granola, it’s simply a matter of what suits your palate, what’s available in the store near you and how creative you want to be with it. There are so so many variations you can try and you never tire of them.
These have become a household favourite now which reminds me, I gotta run to make another batch now 🙂
Here’s a play by play of the recipe. Scroll down for the detailed instructions.
Almond Butter & Chocolate Granola Bars
- This recipe gives you 8 granola bars. Size represented in the picture above.
- 1/4 cup almond butter ( I used homemade almond butter from plain, roasted almonds. You can use 2 tbsp of regular butter in place of almond butter).
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1.5 cup rolled or instant oats
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1/4 hazelnuts (or any nuts you prefer)
- 1/2 cup dates
- 2 tbsp Flax seeds
- 2 tbsp Pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 60 grams of bitter-sweet chocolate
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Pre-heat your oven to 350°F (180°C), then line a 9 x 12 inch baking tray with parchment, set aside.
- Measure out the ingredients needed. Roughly chop the almonds, dates and hazelnuts.
- Combine the nuts and seeds with the oats. Optional: You can choose to roast the oats on a tawa or in the microwave, prior to using.
- Add cinnamon, vanilla essence, cocoa powder and salt. Mix to combine.
- Melt the almond butter and honey in a double boiler. You will know it’s done once both have completely melted and formed a dark golden syrup. Make sure you keep the flame low to avoid burning the mixture.
- Remove from the heat and immediately pour this hot into the oats mixture. Using a spatula, fold everything together until evenly coated in the syrup.
- Transfer this mixture to the baking tray lined with parchment paper for easier lift. Press down using a cup or the base of the spatula into one evenly packed layer.
- Bake the granola bars for 20 – 25 minutes, until golden brown and toasted on top.
- Remove from the oven and allow it to cool while you prepare the chocolate topping.
- Melt the bittersweet chocolate using a double boiler. Drizzle over the top.
- Allow the chocolate drizzled bars to set at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Lift the sheet out of the tray, slice into bars and relish !
Cover and store the granola bars in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks. You can also refrigerate it for up to 1 month (if you can make it last that long).