As I kickstart this blog, it seemed fitting that my first post on food be directed to what got me hooked – These heavenly, fudgy almond-butter chocolate brownies that a very dear friend whipped up, knowing my love and weakness for chocolate.
One bite of this and I was smitten. I refused to believe that these decadent, gooey bites of heaven was gluten free, naturally sweetened and low on fat.
Armed with the recipe and hours of intense research, I have come to realize that exciting and indulgent desserts need not be expensive, complicated or unhealthy. It boils down to a few healthy alternative ingredients and the curiosity to experiment. So off to the food lab then 🙂
|Prep Time: 15 mins Cook Time: 15 minutes Total Time: 30 mins|
1. 1 cup almond butter (from 2 cups of oven roasted almonds)
2. ¼ cup honey
3. ¼ cup cocoa (unsweetened)
4. 2 tsp vanilla extract
5. ½ tsp baking soda
6. ¼ cup soft, chewy dates (roughly 5 pieces)
7. 2 eggs
8. ¼ cup of semi-sweet dark chocolate chips or grated dark chocolate (55% or more)
9. Nuts for topping (almonds, walnuts or as per your preference)
· Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit or 160 Celsius
· Whisk eggs separately and keep aside.
· Mix almond butter and honey. Once mixed, add cocoa powder, baking soda and vanilla extract.
· Grind the dates into a fine paste using a blender/grinder. Add this to the batter and fold to combine.
· Add the whisked eggs to the batter. Whisk to combine all the ingredients till you obtain a thick paste consistency.
· Add the chocolate chips or grated chocolate and pour the mixture into a baking tray (10 X 6 inches).
· Bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit or 160 Celsius for 15 -20 minutes for a wide baking tray.
· Take it out while the center is still slightly under.
· Sprinkle some roughly chopped walnuts, almonds or hazelnuts on top.
· Cool for at least 20 minutes before cutting and serving.
*If the dates are not soft, soak in warm water for 10 min first, then drain.